Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Hardware Reviews Part 5

Korg MS2000 - $350-500 used (8.75/10)
I recently purchased on of these used on craigslist and so far I've been digging it. It is the grandfather of the more recent Microkorg. As far as I can tell, the Microkorg is capable of producing the same sounds as the older, larger MS2000, but on the Microkorg you end up having to program everything with a few knobs and a tiny LCD screen. I prefer the ease of use the MS2000 offers as well as its larger keyboard. I'll probably have a more detailed comparison of the two later.

The Korg MS2000 has a surprisingly aggressive tone that works very well for my style of music. Rather than using patch cables like traditional analog synthesizers, it offers a versatile 'Virtual Patch' system. The distortion is nice, but there aren't a lot of options, so I've got mine going through a guitar distortion pedal to further mutilate its sound. The MS2000 has the ability to act as a vocoder, which it does well, but I haven't really messed with it much. It's no longer in production, so if you plan on obtaining one of your own, I wish you the best of luck in finding a used one in good condition at a reasonable price.



Successes
-Tasty virtual analog synthesis
-An abundance waveforms to choose from.
-Sexy body with lots of metal and wood.
-Powerful step sequencer

Failures
-Only 4-note polyphony
-Not true analog synthesis

5 comments:

  1. So, did you use it for any projects so far?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice snag (you bastard) and yes, like HLW said, we gonna hear something from this? You gonna get another pedal?
    Can I redeem my points for free Korg products?

    ReplyDelete
  3. i had to join when i saw the name of the blog. great post! followin

    ReplyDelete